|Ответить | Перейти к списку сообщений | Предыдущее сообщение | Следующее сообщение | Предыдущее в ветке | Следующее в ветке|
Cavers Mailing List № 16950
Fwd: Cave and karst news and announcements from NCKRI
Автор: Bulat Mavlyudov
Дата: 28 Feb 2018
-------- Пересылаемое сообщение --------
От кого: George Veni <>
Кому: George Veni <>
Дата: Среда, 28 февраля 2018, 6:34 +03:00
Тема: Cave and karst news and announcements from NCKRI
Here is the latest cave and karst information from NCKRI and our friends.
· New Publications from NCKRI
· Sinkhole Conference: Registration is Closed, But…
· Cave Conservancy Foundation Graduate and Undergraduate 2018-2019 Fellowship Awards
· Call for Registration and Papers: ArmConference 2019, Armenia
· International Workshop for Women Speleologists in Latin America: Cuba
· France HABE PRIZE for Karst and Cave Protection
· IAH Karst Commission: New Website
· Balkan Cavers Camp 2018
· International Cave Rescue Training: France
· List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
Please contact the people and organizations listed below for more information, and feel free to share this message with anyone who may be interested.
New Publications from NCKRI
NCKRI has several report series. Our Report of Investigation series provides the results from some of our research projects. We have just completed two studies:
· Report of Investigation 7 is a geological and geophysical survey of a highway that extends through a shallow, interbedded gypsum karst, which will be helpful in evaluating sinkhole potential for this highway and in related areas.
· Report of Investigation 8 examines existing research in an arid karst aquifer system in west Texas, USA, and develops a methodology for fully investigating that aquifer to support best management decisions with regard to oil and gas production and other activities in that region.
All of NCKRI’s reports are available for free download. Simply visit http://nckri.org/about_nckri/nckri_publications.htm and select the publication series and publications that interest you.
Sinkhole Conference: Registration is Closed, But…
Registration is officially closed for The Multidisciplinary Conference on Sinkholes and the Engineering and Environmental Impacts of Karst (aka “The Sinkhole Conference”). Due to security needs at the conference venue, the National Conservation Training Center (NCTC) in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, they need the list of registrants in advance of conference. However, if you are in the area and want to try and register for the conference at the last minute, you are welcome to come by. We hope you will be allowed in, but it is not our decision and so we can’t promise it.
The Sinkhole Conference is the longest-running international conference of its type. Since 1984, engineers, geologists, hydrologists, land managers, biologists, and many others have gathered at these meetings to exchange cutting-edge information on karst and its many benefits and challenges. The Sinkhole Conference is managed by the National Cave and Karst Research Institute and this next conference is jointly organized with the Karst Waters Institute. Additionally, the conference will include the 3rd Appalachian Karst Symposium to make for a truly special event.
The 15th Sinkhole Conference will occur on 2-6 April 2018. You are welcome to stay in the lodging at NCTC but there are other options nearby too. Details about the conference are available at http://www.sinkholeconference.com/.
Cave Conservancy Foundation Graduate and Undergraduate 2018-2019 Fellowship Awards
The Cave Conservancy Foundation is awarding Karst Landform studies Fellowships in the following amounts:
· Undergraduate Academic Level - $6,000
· Master Academic Level - $7000
· Doctorate Academic Level - 20,000
The Cave Conservancy Foundation conducts the fellowship program as part of its program to promote karst landforms research and protection. Over the years we have awarded over 60 fellowships amounting to over $500,000 toward academic development.
Studies of caves and karst in any field, including but not limited to archeology, biology, engineering, geography, geology, hydrology, and social sciences will be considered. The research may involve any cave and karst areas, including those outside the United States. Applicants must be full-time students at a U.S. college or university.
Undergraduate Fellowship ($6,000)
Applicants for the undergraduate fellowship must include a letter of intent, a research proposal not to exceed 5000 words, a letter of support from the research faculty advisor, and undergraduate transcripts. E-mail applications, with “request receipt” notation and “CCF-UG Fellowship Application” in the subject line to: and . The complete application must be received by May 1, 2018. The award will be announced by June 1, 2018. For more information contact Dr. Daniel W. Fong via e-mail at .
Graduate Fellowships – Master ($7,000) and Doctorate ($20,000)
Applicants for the graduate fellowships (M.S. and Ph.D.) must include a letter of intent, a curriculum vita, a thesis or dissertation research proposal not exceeding 5000 words, and graduate transcripts. E-mail application materials, with “request receipt” notation and “CCF-MS Fellowship Application” or “CCF PhD Fellowship Application”, as appropriate, in the subject line to: and . Two letters of recommendation, one being from the thesis or dissertation advisor, should be e-mailed directly to and . The complete application must be received by May 1, 2018. Applications will be reviewed based on (i) how concisely the proposal describes a scientifically relevant project that will advance cave and/or karst science in any field, (ii) appropriateness and feasibility of methods to test hypotheses, conduct research, and assess results, and (iii) capacity for success within a reasonable timeline. Providing a budget, particularly describing how the funds might be used, is optional. The award will be announced by July 1, 2018. For more information contact Dr. Annette Engel, via e-mail at .
Call for Registration and Papers: ArmConference 2019, Armenia
The International Conference ''Caves as Natural and Cultural Monuments'' will be held in Yerevan, Armenia, on 11-13 September 2019 and dedicated to the 35th anniversary of the founding of the Armenian Speleological Center. Registration is now open and abstracts will be accepted through 30 October 2018. For more information visit http://armconference2019.com/.
International Workshop for Women Speleologists in Latin America: Cuba
Attached is an announcement and call of participation in the International Workshop for Women Speleologists in Latin America, Challenges and Perspectives. The workshop will be held in Viñales, Pinar del Río, Cuba, from October 2 to 6, 2018.
France HABE PRIZE for Karst and Cave Protection
The France HABE Prize is awarded by the Karst and the Cave Protection Commission of the International Union of Speleology (UIS). The prize is named in memory and honor of Dr. France HABE (…10/12/1999) of Slovenia (Yugoslavia), who among his other many accomplishments served as President of the UIS Protection Department (1973-1997).
Its purpose is to promote the protection of karst and caves for generations to come. Their natural legacy are proven sources of increasingly rich information about the history of our planet and humanity, enabling people to act more thoughtfully, efficiently, and sustainably for the future of our environment.
You can find the complete regulations on the UIS website at the following link:
Thank you for spreading the information
IAH Karst Commission: New Website
The International Association of Hydrogeologists’ Karst Commission has posted a new website: https://karst.iah.org/.
The new platform is designed to improve communication and visibility between those interested in karst hydrogeology, and includes a rich variety of information such as publications, events, and of course, how to the join the commission!
Balkan Cavers Camp 2018
We have the great pleasure to remind you that the Romanian Speleological Federation will organize the Balkan cavers meeting between July 2 - 8, 2018, BALKAN CAVERS CAMP. The event will also include the National Speleological Congress and the "Speoarta" International Contest, the 36th edition. In 2018 we celebrate 150 years since the birth of Emil Racovita, the father of the Romanian biospeleology and speleology, therefore the event will bring together personalities of world and national speleology, famous presentations and, last but not at least, exceptional trips in Sureanu Mountains caves. Located at the limit of three counties, the Şureanu Mountains were one of the centers of development and resistance of the Transylvanian Dacians, with a strong impact on the Romanian people's genesis. It is an area with a special history, colored with stories and legends, where are some of the most beautiful caves in Romania: Sura Mare, Cioclovina, Tecuri, Cocolbea, but also ancient fortresses that have left their mark on European history and culture. For more information visit http://www.frspeo.ro/event/balkan-camp-congresul-national-de-speologie-speoarta-2018/.
International Cave Rescue Training: France
Three courses in cave rescue will be offered in Lozere, France, from 10-18 November 2018. The courses will focus on:
· Technical issues with stretchers
· Victim assistance
· Cave-to-surface communications
The three registration forms are attached for more information.
List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
CavesLIVE: A Distance Learning Adventure, 14 March 2018 (on-line experience), https://CavesLIVE.org
The Sinkhole Conference, joint with the 3rd Appalachian Karst Symposium, 2-6 April 2018 (Shepherdstown, West Virginia, USA), http://www.sinkholeconference.com/
3) Eleventh International Conference on Remediation of Chlorinated and Recalcitrant Compounds: Karst Case Studies Session, 8-12 April 2018 (Palm Springs, California, USA), https://www.battelle.org/newsroom/conferences/chlorinated-conference
Speleogenesis, Geomorphology and Hazards in Karst, European Geosciences Union, 8–13 April 2018 (Vienna, Austria), http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/session/27715
5) Edwards Aquifer Authority Distinguished Lecturer: Dr. Pierre-Yves Jeannin, 13 April 2018 (San Antonio, Texas), http://pierre-yvesjeannin2018.eventzilla.net
California Cave Life Symposium, 28 April 2018 (California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, California, USA), http://cavelife.info/ or
7) Characterization and Engineering of Karst Aquifers Workshop, 27 May – 5 June (Trebinje, Bosnia and Herzegovina), http://www.karst.edu.rs/
8) Karst 2018: Expect the Unexpected, 6-9 June (Trebinje, Bosnia and Herzegovina), http://www.karst.edu.rs/
Karst Field Studies Program, six different 5-6 day courses from 3 June to 10 August 2018 (Grand Canyon National Park and Mammoth Cave National Park, USA), www.karstfieldstudies.com
10) 8th International Workshop on Ice caves (IWIC-VIII), 11-16 June 2018 (Picos de Europa National Park, Spain), https://eventos.uva.es/go/iwic8.
11) 26th International Karstological School "Classical Karst", theme Show Caves and Science, 18-22 June 2018 (Postojna, Slovenia), website to be posted soon.
EuroKarst 2018, 2-6 July 2018 (Besançon, France), http://www.eurokarst.org/
Balkan Cavers Camp, 2-8 July 2018 (Romania), http://www.frspeo.ro/event/balkan-camp-congresul-national-de-speologie-speoarta-2018/
14) 18th International Vulcanospeleology Symposium, 21-27 July 2018 (Lava Beds National Monument, California, USA), http://18ivslavabeds.com/
International Training Camp for Young Speleologists, 29 July to 13 August 2018 (Swabian Alb, Germany), http://www.juhoefola.de/english.html
BERGER 2018 "Clean deep", 29 July – 20 August 2018 (Vercors, France), http://cds39.fr/BFC/B18/
17) 2018 US National Speleological Society Convention, 30 July - 3 August 2018 (Helena, Montana, USA), http://nss2018.caves.org/
18) EuroSpeleo Forum 2018, 23-26 August 2018 (Ebensee, Austria), http://eurospeleo.at/expo.html
19) 24th International Conference on Subterranean Biology, 20-24 August 2018 (University of Aveiro, Portugal), http://24icsb.web.ua.pt/.
20) 24th International Cave Bear Symposium, 27-30 September 2018 (Chepelare, Bulgaria), http://icbs2018.at
22) 8th Congress of the International Show Caves Association, 12-18 October 2018 (Genga, Italy), http://www.i-s-c-a.com/event/68-8th-isca-congress
23) 16th International Symposium of Speleotherapy, 24-28 October 2018 (Zlate Hory, Czech Republic), http://www.speleotherapycommission.webgarden.com/menu/news/the-xvi-th-international
Hypogea 2019: The International Congress of Speleology in Artificial Cavities, 20-25 May 2019 (Dobrich, Bulgaria), http://www.hypogea2019.org/
26) National Speleological Congress of Switzerland, 9-12 August 2019 (Interlaken, Switzerland), https://sinterlaken.ch/en/
27) ArmConference 2019: Caves as Natural and Cultural Monuments, 11-13 September 2019 (Yerevan, Armenia), http://armconference2019.com/
28) 18th International Congress of Speleology, 23-29 July 2021 (Lyon, France), http://uis2021.speleos.fr/
George Veni, PhD
President, International Union of Speleology
National Cave and Karst Research Institute
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215 USA
Прикреплённый файл: Convocatoria Taller Mujeres Espeleólogas.pdf (865.92 KBytes)
Прикреплённый файл: ASV 2018 promo EN.docx (207.22 KBytes)
Прикреплённый файл: Stage speleo secours International 2018 doc promo EN.doc (231.50 KBytes)
Прикреплённый файл: Transmission 2018 promo EN.docx (207.32 KBytes)
Прикреплённый файл: Transmission 2018 promo EN.docx (207.32 KBytes)
CML archive browser created by Pavel Gulchouck