|Ответить | Перейти к списку сообщений | Предыдущее сообщение | Следующее сообщение | Предыдущее в ветке | Следующее в ветке|
Cavers Mailing List № 17456
Fwd: Cave and karst news and announcements from NCKRI
Автор: Bulat Mavlyudov
Дата: 15 Sep 2020
-------- Пересылаемое сообщение --------
От кого: George Veni <>
Кому: George Veni <>
Дата: Вторник, 15 сентября 2020, 8:19 +03:00
Тема: Cave and karst news and announcements from NCKRI
This is a great week to celebrate speleology! That announcement and more are below:
- Celebrate: International Union of Speleology’s 55th Anniversary!
- UIS Prizes: Call for Nominations
- Advances and Frontiers in Hypogene Karst Studies: Deadline Extended
Student and Job Opportunities
- Two Post-Doctoral Cave Arachnid Positions Available: Israel
Conferences and Meetings
- International Congress of Speleology: Abstract Deadline Extended!
- British Cave Research Association Science Meeting 2020: Abstract Deadline Extended!
- 2nd Columbian Congress of Speleology
- 36th Brazilian Congress of Speleology
- International Association of Hydrogeologists Congresses: Brazil and Belgium
- European Cave Rescue Association Meeting and General Assembly: Postponed
- List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
Please contact the people and organizations listed below for more information, and feel free to share this message with anyone who may be interested.
Celebrate: International Union of Speleology’s 55th Anniversary!
On 16 September 2020, the International Union of Speleology (UIS) will celebrate its 55th anniversary. We encourage you to celebrate by doing something positive for speleology: survey a cave (if you can be safe from COVID), finish drawing a cave map, write a report, post a lecture or information on social media or You Tube. There are many possibilities. One of the best is to plan an event for the International Year of Caves and Karst next year, to help teach the world about the importance of caves and karst. Every event helps by reaching more people in different areas. No event is too small. For information about the UIS, visit www.uis-speleo.org. To learn more about helping with the International Year, visit www.iyck2021.org and download the Planning Guide from the Download page.
On behalf of the UIS Bureau,
UIS Prizes: Call for Nominations
Every four year at each International Congress of Speleology, the International Union of Speleology (UIS) recognizes major accomplishments over those years through the UIS Prizes. The categories have been expanded and are now:
- The Most Significant Cave Discovery/Exploration
- The Most Significant Publication About Caves or Karst (printed and digital subcategories)
- The Best Special Book
- Poster Prize
- Greatest Scientific Achievement
The deadline for nominations is 21 May 2021, but please send your nominations early so you don’t forget! For all the details and on how to send your nominations, visit http://www.uis-speleo.org/downloads/UIS%20Prizes%202021%20-%20Call%20for%20Nominations.pdf.
Advances and Frontiers in Hypogene Karst Studies: Deadline Extended
If you considered submitting a manuscript to a Special Topic "Advances and Frontiers in Hypogene Karst Studies" of the Frontiers in Earth Sciences journal but hesitated due to too close deadline – then this news is for you.
The original submission deadline for articles has been set as September 25, 2020.
The restrictions related to the Covid-19 pandemic caused delays in lab and field works in many cases and affected preliminary plans in other ways. These complications could affect a number of potential authors who considered contributing to this volume.
We inform all interested colleagues that the submission deadline is now extended till December 11, 2020.
We hope that this will allow those authors who already signed up to feel more comfortable and confident in finalizing your planned paper. Also, those potential authors who hesitated due to too close deadlines can possibly consider contributing. More information about this volume can be found on this page.
We are looking forward to receiving your manuscript.
The Topic Editors:
Two Post-Doctoral Cave Arachnid Positions Available: Israel
The Israel National Arachnid Collection at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel is looking for two enthusiastic post-doctoral researchers (max. three years after obtaining a PhD degree) to join projects exploring the Ecology and Ecology of Cave Arachnids, supported by the Israel Science Foundation (ISF), and the Bi-National Science Foundation (BSF & NSF-BSF, in collaboration between Dr. Efrat Gavish-Regev& Prof. Prashant Sharma). The position is a two-year term and will take place at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel, and will include training visits at Sharma’s lab at The University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA.
The research includes laboratory and field work aiming to understand the mechanisms of cave colonization and the evolution of specific adaptations and speciation of arachnids in caves. We will investigate the role of ecology and evolutionary history in the formation of local cave assemblages and food webs.
We expect the candidates to demonstrate (1) excellent writing and communication skills; (2) a strong publication record; (3) strong research skills; and (4) evidence of independence in scholarship and project management. The candidates must work well with a diverse team of personnel and assist in supervising students. The candidates will be expected to participate in outreach efforts.
THE ECOLOGY POST-DOCTORAL CANDIDATE should have a background in one or more of the following: experimental field ecology, statistics, community ecology and predator-prey interactions.
THE EVOLUTIONARY POST-DOCTORAL CANDIDATE should have a background in one or more of the following: molecular biology, next generation sequencing, comparative developmental biology (evodevo), and bioinformatics.
To apply, please send an application containing: (1) a cover letter, (2) curriculum vitae, and (3) names and contact information of two referees.
Applications should be directed to Dr. Efrat Gavish-Regev ().
NASA Postdoctoral Fellowship
(The following announcement is not specific to caves or karst, but is broad enough to include planetary cave research.)
The NASA Postdoctoral Program offers US and international scientists the opportunity to advance their research while contributing to NASA's scientific goals. The NPP supports fundamental science; explores the undiscovered; promotes intellectual growth; and encourages scientific connections.
Selected by a competitive peer-review process, NPP Fellows complete one- to three-year Fellowship appointments that advance NASA's missions in earth science, heliophysics, planetary science, astrophysics, space bioscience, aeronautics and engineering, human exploration and space operations, and astrobiology.
Current NPP research opportunities in planetary science can be viewed here.
Applicants must have a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in hand before beginning the fellowship, but may apply while completing the degree requirements. U.S. citizens, Lawful Permanent Residents, and foreign nationals eligible for J-1 status as a Research Scholar may apply.
Stipends start at $60,000 per year, with supplements for high cost-of-living areas and for certain academic specialties. Financial assistance is available for relocation and health insurance, and $10,000 per year is provided for professional travel.
Applications are accepted three times each year: 1 March, 1July, and 1 November.
For further information and to apply, visit:
International Congress of Speleology: Abstract Deadline Extended!
The deadline for the submission of abstracts to the International Congress of Speleology has been extended to 31 October 2020. However, the deadline for the full papers that will accompany your abstracts remains at 31 December 2020.
The International Congress of Speleology is the world’s most significant conference on caves and karst. It only occurs once every four years and the next congress will be held on 25 July through 1 August 2021 in Le Bourget de Luc, France. For more details about the congress and how to submit your abstracts and papers, visit https://uis2021.speleos.fr/.
British Cave Research Association Science Meeting 2020: Abstract Deadline Extended!
The BCRA Cave Science Meeting 2020 is now confirmed for Saturday November 14th 2020 but will take place using an online portal. It will be hosted by Professor Mike Rogerson at the University of Northumbria. Although we would very much enjoy contributions that discuss how caves have behaved during the lockdown period, we are open to abstracts on any subject linked to cave and karst science, from professional or amateur researchers. We are expecting to have about 10 talks on the day, and would like to see what you have been doing recently. As in previous years we invite contributions across the cave/karst spectrum including archaeology, biology, geomorphology, hydrology and speleothem science. Presentation slots are not limited to those with a connection to the UK - this invitation is to all interested cave and karst scientists worldwide. Please do submit an abstract by emailing it to Mike Rogerson () as soon as possible and by Friday 25 September at the latest (put "BCRA abstract" in the email subject to ensure it goes to the right inbox folder!). The template for abstracts is attached.
Attendance will be free, using an online portal (likely Zoom) so participants worldwide are invited, although do be aware talks will be during normal UK working hours (9-5, GMT). We are exploring possibilities for a virtual fieldtrip on the 15th November - more soon on that!
2nd Columbian Congress of Speleology
Following the great success of the first congress, the 2nd Colombian Congress of Speleology will occur on 8-13 June 2021 in Santa Sofía, Boyacá, Colombia. More information will be available soon at https://espeleocol.wordpress.com/iicce2021/.
Asociación Espeleológica Colombiana
Carrera 30 No 45-03 Departamento de Geociencias
Universidad Nacional de Colombia _ Sede Bogotá
36th Brazilian Congress of Speleology
The 36th Brazilian Congress of Speleology is returning to Brasilia in 2021, exactly 20 years after its last time in the federal capital.
The year 2021 will also be of great significance for speleology, led by the International Union of Speleology (UIS) as the "International Year of Caves and Karst," which will also be the theme of the Congress. Following this theme, the congress will include actions for the protection and preservation of caves, discussion about their importance and relevance to life, and generally deepening the world’s knowledge of caves.
The 36th Brazilian Congress of Speleology will be held jointly by the Brazilian Society of Caving (SBE) and the National Center for Cave Research and Conservation of the Chico Mendes Institute (ICMBio/CECAV), celebrating the cooperation between the two main Brazilian speleological heritage management institutions to reach to all Brazilian society about Brazil’s speleological heritage.
For more information and to register, visit http://36cbe.org.br/.
Paulo Henrique Rosado Arenas
President of the 36th Brazilian Congress of Speleology
International Association of Hydrogeologists Congresses: Brazil and Belgium
The International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH) 47th Congress, originally planned for 2020, has been postponed to August 22-27, 2021, in São Paulo, Brazil. Meanwhile, the IAH 48th Congress will occur as originally planned in Brussels, Belgium, between 6-10 September 2021.Karst hydrogeology sessions are planned for both meetings, which will be integrated in ways that will be released later.
For more information on the 47th Congress in Brazil, see https://iah2021brazil.org/en/
For more information 48th Congress in Belgium, see https://iah2021belgium.org/
European Cave Rescue Association Meeting and General Assembly: Postponed
The European Cave Rescue Association Meeting that was planned for Cantabria, Spain, on 13-15 November 2020, has been postponed because of the continuing COVID-19 pandemic. The new date will be either in the late spring of 2021 or November 2021 and will be announced in February 2021. For more information, visit https://caverescue.eu/ecra-meeting-2020-cantabria-spain/
List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
If you are interested in any of the following events, contact them directly to learn if they are still planned as announced below.
1) Carbonate Critical Zone: an NSF-Sponsored Workshop, August-September 2020 (virtual meeting), https://carbonatecriticalzone.research.ufl.edu/
2) Visual KARSYS Online Course, 16-17 September 2020, https://www.visualkarsys.com/
3) Geological Society of America Convention/GSA 2020 Connects Online, 25-28 October 2020 (Montréal, Québec, Canada), https://community.geosociety.org/gsa2020/home
4) British Cave Research Association Science Symposium, 14 November 2020, (virtual meeting), http://bcra.org.uk/forum
6) 1st Karst Science Forum, postponed to 2021 (Bucharest, Romania), https://www.eris100.ro
7) International Course and Field Seminar: Characterization and Engineering of Karst Aquifers, postponed to 2021 (Žabljak-Durmitor Mt., Virpazar-Skadar Lake in Montenegro, and in Trebinje in Bosnia & Herzegovina), http://www.karst.edu.rs
8) 7th International Course Characterization and Engineering of Karst Aquifers (CEKA), postponed to 2021 (Montenegro: Žabljak-Durmitor Mt., Virpazar-Skadar Lake, and Bosnia and Herzegovina: Trebinje), http://www.karst.edu.rs
9) 16th Multidisciplinary Conference on the Engineering and Environmental Impacts of Karst, 12-16 April 2021 (San Juan, Puerto Rico), ww-w.sinkholeconference.com
10) 14th International Symposium on Pseudokarst, 22-25 April 2021 (Świętokrzyskie [Holy Cross] Mountains, Poland), https://14pseudokarst.wonders4you.com/
11) US Geological Survey Karst Interest Group Meeting, May 2021 (Nashville, Tennessee, USA), https://www.usgs.gov/mission-areas/water-resources/science/karst-interest-group-kig-2020-workshop?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects
13) European Cave Rescue Association Meeting, postponed to late spring or November 2021 (Cantabria, Spain), https://caverescue.eu/ecra-meeting-2020-cantabria-spain/
14) 36th Brazilian Congress of Speleology, 3-6 June 2021 (Brasilia, Brazil), http://36cbe.org.br/
16) Karst Waters Institute Frontiers in Karst: Sulfuric Acid Weathering, postponed to mid-summer 2021 (San Vittore, Italy), https://karstwaters.org/conferences/sulfuric-acid-weathering/
17) 28th International Karstological School “Classical Karst”: Regional Karstology - Local and General Aspects, 14-18 June 2021 (Postojna, Slovenia), https://iks.zrc-sazu.si/en/
18) EuroKarst 2021: The European Congress on Karst Hydrogeology and Carbonate Reservoirs, 22-24 June 2021 (Málaga, Spain), http://www.eurokarst.org/
19) Karst Record IX (KR9) Conference, 11-14 July 2021 (Innsbruck, Austria), https://www.uibk.ac.at/congress/kr9/news/2017/kr9-postponed-to-2021.html.en
20) 18th International Congress of Speleology, 25 July – 1 August 2021 (Savoie Technolac, Le Bourget du Lac, Savoie, France), http://uis2021.speleos.fr/
21) Central Asian Speleological Forum, postponed to August 2021 (Tashkent, Uzbekistan), https://speleo.kg/en/news/first-circular-speleo-ca-forum-2020/
22) 34th International Geographical Congress karst sessions: Global Karst Critical Zone and Land Use Planning in Karst, 16-20 August 2021 (Istanbul, Turkey), https://www.igc2020.org/en/KARST%20COMMISSION.html
23) International Association of Hydrogeologists 47th Congress, 22-27 August 2021 (São Paulo, Brazil), https://iah2021brazil.org/en/
24) 19th International Symposium on Vulcanospeleology, 28 August - 4 September 2021 (Catania, Italy), http://www.19isvetna.com/
25) International Association of Hydrogeologists 48th Congress, 6-10 September 2021 (Brussels, Belgium), https://iah2021belgium.org/
26) Fort Stanton Cave Science Conference, September 2021 (Socorro, New Mexico, USA), https://geoinfo.nmt.edu/FtStanton/home.cfm
29) Speleo Kamaraton, 29 October – 1 November 2021 (Marina di Camerota, Salerno, Italy), http://www.speleokamaraton.eu/
George Veni, PhD
Executive Director, National Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI)
President, International Union of Speleology (UIS)
NCKRI address (primary)
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220 USA
Titov trg 2
Postojna, 6230 Slovenia
|Ответить | Перейти к списку сообщений | Предыдущее сообщение | Следующее сообщение | Предыдущее в ветке | Следующее в ветке|
CML archive browser created by Pavel Gulchouck