|Ответить | Перейти к списку сообщений | Предыдущее сообщение | Следующее сообщение | Предыдущее в ветке | Следующее в ветке|
Cavers Mailing List № 17063
Fwd: Cave and karst news and announcements from NCKRI
Автор: Bulat Mavlyudov
Дата: 01 May 2018
content-type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
-------- Пересылаемое сообщение --------
От кого: George Veni
Кому: George Veni
Дата: Вторник, 1 мая 2018, 4:52 +03:00
Тема: Cave and karst news and announcements from NCKRI
We are have been delayed sending this message because we were busy organizing and attending the 15 th Multidisciplinary Conferences on Sinkholes and the Engineering and Environmental Impacts of Karst at the beginning of the month near Washington, DC, at the end of the month hosting the public showing of the 4 th International Cave Photographers Meeting at NCKRI Headquarters in Carlsbad, New Mexico, plus many other things in between.
There is a lot happening in the world of caves and karst, such as the latest news below from NCKRI and our colleagues around the world.
· 1 st Columbian and 8 th FEALC Congresses: Registration is Open!
· 1 st Colloquium on the Caves of Azé: France
· Post-doctoral Position in Hydrology/Speleogenesis
· Geological Society of America (GSA) Karst Sessions
· White-nose Syndrome Research Funding Available
· 26th International Karstological School – Show Caves and Science: registration deadline
· 2018 Balkan Cavers Camp: more details available
· US National Speleological Society Convention: Call for Abstracts
· Carlsbad Caverns GIP Cave Technician Position for Autumn/Winter 2018
· 5th Annual Texas Hydro Geo Workshop: USA
· List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
Please contact the people and organizations listed below for more information, and feel free to share this message with anyone who may be interested.
1 st Columbian and 8 th FEALC Congresses: Registration is Open!
The 1 st Columbian Speleological Congress will be held with the 8 th Congress of FEALC (Federation of Latin American and Caribbean Speleological
Associations) will be held on 6-10 November 2018 in San Gil, Columbia. Speleologists from all nations are welcome to attend. For more information visit: http://sociedadcolombianadegeologia.org/i-congreso-colombiano-de-espeleologia-y-viii-congreso-espeleologico-de-america-latina-y-el-caribe/
1 st Colloquium on the Caves of Azé: France
The 1 st Colloquium on the Caves of Azé will be held in Saône-et-Loire, France, on 9-10 March 2019.
The deadline to send your notice of intent to make a presentation is 30 April 2018.
The deadline for sending of the text for your presentation is 30 November 2018.
For more information, contact: (cultural Association of the site of Azé/French Speleological Federation /laboratory EDYTEM-Savoie/ Argilon Speleo-club).
Post-doctoral Position in Hydrology/Speleogenesis
A Postdoctoral research position is available beginning immediately at the University of Akron studying reactive transport/speleogenetic
modeling as related to cave forming processes. The selected candidate will participate in a project integrating hydrologic approaches to cave formation with microbial dissolution processes and biogeochemistry, including laboratory investigations of reductive
dissolution of iron ore- and BIF-Fe(III) under flow conditions. The researcher will be part of a larger team that includes three faculty, an international collaborator and several graduate- and undergraduate-student researchers. Significant international
travel and fieldwork is anticipated. Required Qualifications: PhD in hydrology or related field and an interest in learning modern techniques in geomicrobiology. Background in geochemistry and flow modelling via finite element or other approaches is helpful.
Candidates may submit a CV and cover letter describing their qualifications and research interests, and availability, to Dr. Hazel A. Barton ( )
or apply directly to job posting 10776 at https://www.uakron.edu/hr/job-openings/openings.dot
Geological Society of America (GSA) Karst Sessions
In preparation for the upcoming GSA Annual Meeting in Indianapolis this fall, we are seeking volunteers to Chair the general Karst Division Sessions listed below.
Currently, we are looking for one Chair per session, who will then work to recruit co-chair(s) and invited presenters, now that the abstract submission period is underway.
If you are interested in chairing a session, especially if you plan to submit an abstract to it, please contact the GSA Karst Division JTPC Rep, Andrew Luhmann at ( ),
for more information.
Sessions Available to Chair:
1. Karst Processes and Speleology – Abstracts discussing the myriad cave and karst forming processes, geomorphic evolution of karst landscapes,
and cave system development, including geochemical, morphological, and cave survey studies. Carbonate weathering, diagenesis, hypogene processes, carbonate mineralogy, structural controls influencing cave development, and other related topics are included.
2. Karst Hazards and Monitoring – Abstracts focused on the various hazards (sinkholes, groundwater pollution, radon, development and urbanization)
and monitoring approaches (data collection, data logging, GIS applications, historical data analyses) found in karst landscapes. Topics include technical applications (e.g., LiDAR, 3D scanning, geodatabase development) and management implications (resource
management, education, policy and regulation in karst areas).
3. Karst Sedimentary, Paleoclimate, and Historical Records – Abstracts that include the use of cave deposits (sediments, speleothems, tufa, etc.), karst environmental records
(sedimentary, underwater deposits, carbonate stratigraphy, etc.), and geoarchaeological and historical investigations to reconstruct or interpret past climates, landscapes, extreme events, landuse histories, and similar cave and karst phenomena and model or
predict future changes.
4. Karst Ecosystems and Biogeochemistry – Abstracts that deal with the study of cave and karst ecosystems, including the identification, quantification, and/or
discussion of biota, flora, microbial, and related biogeochemical processes or environments in or near karst features.
5. Pseudo-karst Processes and Features : Abstracts on topics focused on the origin, development, depositional processes, biogeology, and management
of landscapes and features that morphologically or in other ways resemble karst and where research may provide insights to karst studies and vice versa; examples include caves formed by wave action, fracturing, gravitation movement, melting or cooling of materials,
and exotic chemistries.
GSA Karst Division
White-nose Syndrome Research Funding Available
The US Fish and Wildlife Service is now accepting proposals for research to support the national response to white-nose syndrome . This funding opportunity is available on grants.gov , F18AS00119 . We are accepting proposals until September 30, 2018, or until funds are depleted. Proposals will be reviewed on a rolling basis throughout this period. See the funding opportunity announcement for a timeline of submission and anticipated
This year, we are seeking proposals to address the following priorities.
1) Understand mechanisms and patterns of survival and persistence between and within species, and/or implement strategies to improve survival and persistence of species
impacted by WNS.
2) Address gaps in knowledge of bat life history as it relates to the biological and ecological needs of species heavily impacted by WNS.
3) Control the spread and persistence of pathogenic Pd and/or reduce the impacts of WNS on vulnerable bat populations.
We look forward to seeing your proposals. Please contact me or the Fish and Wildlife Service Coordinator for if you have questions (contact info also in the RFP).
26th International Karstological School – Show Caves and Science: registration deadline
We would like to inform you that the deadline for registration and abstract submission for the 26th International Karstological School
"Classical Karst" (Show Caves and Science) is approaching - please register/send abstract till 6th May 2018.
Use on-line forms to register and submit the abstracts:
More information regarding the 26th IKS can be found on web page:
We are looking forward to seeing you in Postojna.
Head of the Organising Committee
Organizacijski odbor Mednarodne krasoslovne šole "Klasični kras"
Organizing Committee of the International Karstological School "Classical Karst"
Inštitut za raziskovanje krasa ZRC SAZU / Karst Research Institute at ZRC SAZU
Titov trg 2, 6230 Postojna, Slovenija
T: +386 5 700 19 00, Fax: +386 5 700 19 99
2018 Balkan Cavers Camp: more details available
We are pleased to announce the details for Balkan Cavers Camp, 2018 at our website: https://www.balkancaverscamp.com/copy-of-acasa
Also, we remind you of the SpeoArta photography and video contest. Details can be found here: http://speo-arta.ro/en/
Please spread the news among the organizations in your countries.
Romanian Speleological Federation
US National Speleological Society Convention: Call for Abstracts
Below are two calls for abstracts. For more information on the convention visit http://nss2018.caves.org/ .
Geology and Geography Abstracts:
I just wanted to remind you that abstracts are due by May 15, 2018. You can email me your abstracts or you can submit them electronically at: https://nationalspeleologicalsociety.submittable.com/submit/93006/geology
Please share this link with any students who might be interested.
Thank you very much,
State Speleological Survey/Cave Survey Roundtable Abstracts:
This is a second call for papers for the State Speleological/Cave survey Roundtable, taking place at the NSS Convention this summer, on Monday July 30 th ,
from 2 pm to 5 pm.
This session is already shaping up very well. We have three state surveys already participating (Texas, West Virginia, and Kentucky).
Additionally, a special focus has developed on the use of ESRI ArcGIS products in the use of state surveys and how deploy these applications across other state surveys.
There will be presentations on:
- The use of Survey 123 as a data reporting tool
- Use of ArcGIS online as a database for cave locations
- Use of free applications to share various map and geology layers
We are even hoping to see on-site ESRI participation!
We still have space for more presentations. We would especially welcome more State Survey organization participation, even if only to update on number of caves, and
type of database…
Please contact me at with questions or presentations. Abstracts will be due May 15 th …
Kentucky Speleological Survey
Carlsbad Caverns GIP Cave Technician Position for Autumn/Winter 2018
Please forward to interested parties:
We are pleased to announce that Carlsbad Caverns National Park will hire a Cave Technician intern for autumn/winter 2018 through the Geoscientists-in-the-Park program.
The intern will assist in assessing impact to the park's world-class cave resources. This is a great opportunity to become intimately familiar with an outstanding caving area. The participant will assess visitor impact in both Carlsbad Cavern and the park's
recreational backcountry caves. The majority of work will be conducted in Carlsbad Cavern and will consist of identifying areas of impact and sketching them onto cave base maps, inventorying broken speleothems, and producing impact maps in Adobe Illustrator
The participant will also use the park's collection of both historic and monitoring photos to assess impact. This will involve scanning photos/slides, determining the
original camera location for each photo, recreating the photo, and comparing the historic and present-day condition of the cave, and producing a GIS with links to side-by-side comparisons. Results for both the photo monitoring and impact mapping will be used
to inform updates to the park's Cave Management Plan. Other tasks may include conducting monitoring of cave resources and working with cave program volunteers on various cave related tasks such as restoration or survey.
We encourage cavers and cave scientists to apply. For more information, see:
Physical Science Technician
Carlsbad Caverns National Park
5th Annual Texas Hydro Geo Workshop: USA
We are pleased to announce that the 5 th annual Texas Hydro Geo workshop will be held October 5-7, 2018 at Cave Without a Name. ‘
Attached is a flyer announcing the event.
We hope to have registration open in a few weeks, please save the date and feel free to distribute the flyer.
Hydro Geo Chair
List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
1) Characterization and Engineering of Karst Aquifers Workshop , 27 May –
5 June (Trebinje, Bosnia and Herzegovina), http://www.karst.edu.rs/
2) Karst 2018: Expect the Unexpected , 6-9 June (Trebinje, Bosnia and Herzegovina), http://www.karst.edu.rs/
3) Karst Field Studies Program, six different
5-6 day courses from 3 June to 10 August 2018 (Grand Canyon National Park and Mammoth Cave National Park, USA), www.karstfieldstudies.com
4) 8th International Workshop on Ice caves (IWIC-VIII) , 11-16 June 2018 (Picos
de Europa National Park, Spain), https://eventos.uva.es/go/iwic8 .
5) 26th International Karstological School "Classical Karst", theme Show Caves and Science , 18-22 June 2018 (Postojna, Slovenia), website to be posted soon.
6) EuroKarst 2018 , 2-6 July 2018 (Besançon, France), http://www.eurokarst.org/
7) Balkan Cavers Camp , 2-8 July 2018 (Romania), http://www.frspeo.ro/event/balkan-camp-congresul-national-de-speologie-speoarta-2018/
8) 18 th International Vulcanospeleology Symposium , 21-27 July
2018 (Lava Beds National Monument, California, USA), http://18ivslavabeds.com/
9) International Training Camp for Young Speleologists ,
28 July to 11 August 2018 (Swabian Alb, Germany), http://www.juhoefola.de/english.html
10) BERGER 2018 "Clean deep" , 29 July – 20 August 2018 (Vercors, France), http://cds39.fr/BFC/B18/
11) 2018 US National Speleological Society Convention ,
30 July - 3 August 2018 (Helena, Montana, USA), http://nss2018.caves.org/
12) EuroSpeleo Forum 2018 , 23-26 August 2018 (Ebensee, Austria), http://eurospeleo.at/expo.html
13) 24 th International Conference on Subterranean Biology ,
20-24 August 2018 (University of Aveiro, Portugal), http://24icsb.web.ua.pt/ .
14) International Association of Hydrogeologists Congress, with Topic 7: Advances in Karst and Fractured-rock Hydrogeology , 9-14 September 2018 (Daejeon, South Korea), http://iah2018.org/
15) 24 th International Cave Bear Symposium ,
27-30 September 2018 (Chepelare, Bulgaria), http://icbs2018.at
16) International Workshop for Women Speleologists in Latin America ,
2-6 October 2018, (Viñales, Pinar del Río, Cuba),
17) Middle Eastern Speleological Symposium , 3-6 October
2018 (Antalya, Turkey),
18) 8 th Congress of the International Show Caves Association ,
12-18 October 2018 (Genga, Italy), http://www.i-s-c-a.com/event/68-8th-isca-congress
19) 16th International Symposium of Speleotherapy , 24-28 October 2018 (Zlate
Hory, Czech Republic), http://www.speleotherapycommission.webgarden.com/menu/news/the-xvi-th-international
20) 1 st Columbian Speleological Congress and 8 th Congress of FEALC (Federation of Latin American and Caribbean Speleological Associations) ,
6-10 November 2018 (San Gil, Columbia), http://sociedadcolombianadegeologia.org/i-congreso-colombiano-de-espeleologia-y-viii-congreso-espeleologico-de-america-latina-y-el-caribe/
21) International Cave Rescue Training , 10-18 November 2018 (Lozere, France),
22) 1 st Colloquium on the Caves of Azé , 9-10 March 2019 (Saône-et-Loire,
France), for more information, contact:
23) Hypogea 2019: The I nternational Congress of Speleology in Artificial Cavities ,
20-25 May 2019 (Dobrich, Bulgaria), http://www.hypogea2019.org/
24) National Speleological Congress of Switzerland , 9-12 August 2019 (Interlaken,
25) ArmConference 2019: Caves as Natural and Cultural Monuments , 11-13
September 2019 (Yerevan, Armenia), http://armconference2019.com/
26) 18 th International Congress of Speleology , 23-29 July
2021 (Lyon, France), http://uis2021.speleos.fr/
George Veni, PhD
President, International Union of Speleology
National Cave and Karst Research Institute
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215 USA
Прикреплённый файл: image001.png (12.92 KBytes)
Прикреплённый файл: 2018 Texas Hydrogeo Workshop Flyer.pdf (562.37 KBytes)
|Ответить | Перейти к списку сообщений | Предыдущее сообщение | Следующее сообщение | Предыдущее в ветке | Следующее в ветке|
CML archive browser created by Pavel Gulchouck