Cavers Mailing List № 16855
Fwd: Cave and karst news announcements from NCKRI
Автор: Bulat Mavlyudov
Дата: 07 Jan 2018
-------- Пересылаемое сообщение --------
От кого: George Veni <>
Кому: George Veni <>
Дата: Воскресенье, 7 января 2018, 3:45 -03:00
Тема: Cave and karst news announcements from NCKRI
Everyone at NCKRI hopes you had a wonderful holiday season and are now enjoying a great start to the New Year!
Following are news and announcements from NCKRI and some of our friends around the world. The full details are below.
· Student Intern Positions Available: Montana, USA
· 8th Congress of the International Show Caves Association: Genga, Italy
· 18th International Congress of Speleology: Lyon, France· Fourth EuroSpeleo Newsletter, December 2017
· New Book Available: Ice Caves
· International Training Camp for Young Speleologists, Swabian Alb, Germany
· List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
As usual, please contact the people and organizations listed below for more information and feel free to share this message with anyone who may be interested.
between scientists, territory managers, NGOs, and cave and karst specialists to share their experience and knowledge in cave and karst management. The primary objectives are to:
· Evaluate current and future challenges in preserving and developing caves;
· Highlight the necessity of interdisciplinarity for a better understanding and development of caves and karst; and
· Present new methods for the conservation and development of caves and karst in a context of global climate change and local environmental, demographic, economic, and uncontrolled stresses.
Student Intern Positions Available: Montana, USA
BLM is hiring two Montana Conservation Corps (MCC) intern positions that will be working with the Custer Gallatin geocorps cave management specialist. MCC are open to accepting applications now. They close sometime in January. You can apply by going to http://mtcorps.org/join/big-sky-watershed-corps-conservation-internships/conservation-intern-program. The contact for the MCC intern positions is Mandy Hedstrom at . If you have any other questions about the BLM positions, please contact BLM’s Jenny Alexander via email at or by phone at 406-896-5248.
8th Congress of the International Show Caves Association: Genga, Italy
The International Show Caves Association will hold its next congress on 12-18 October 2018 in Genga, Italy, home of the world famous Frassasi Caves. The congress will include a pre-congress excursion on 9-12 October and a post-congress excursion on 18-21 October. More information will be posted at http://www.i-s-c-a.com/event/68-8th-isca-congress, or you can contact the congress organizers at or by calling +39-0736-343901.
18th International Congress of Speleology: Lyon, France
The website and first information on the 18th International Congress of Speleology has been posted at http://uis2021.speleos.fr/. Registration will open in early 2018. Bookmark this website to not miss this special congress in the middle of one of the world’s most spectacular caving regions.
Fourth EuroSpeleo Newsletter, December 2017
It is with great pleasure that the European Speleological Federation (FSE) publishes its fourth EuroSpeleo Newsletter. This Newsletter will be exclusively available in electronic form and it will be distributed through the FSE mailing lists, website and Facebook page. It will be edited by the FSE Bureau and will inform member countries and individual speleologists about important events nationally and internationally as well as new developments and the initiatives of the FSE and its member countries. This Newsletter will be released on an occasional basis.
Please spread this newsletter on the broadest way possible among caving clubs and individual speleologists and all those interested.
You can download the English version of the December 2017 Newsletter here:
Vous pouvez télecharger la version Française du Bulletin d”Information de décembre 2017 ici:
With cordial regards,
The FSE Bureau, December 2017
New Book Available: Ice Caves
I am happy (and somehow relieved!) to announce the publication of a book on "Ice caves" (i.e., caves hosting perennial ice accumulations), that Stein-Erik Lauritzen and I have co-edited. Ice caves have been the subject of scientific studies for more than a century, but the vast majority of the results were published in languages other than the “usual” ones for scientific literature (from French through German and English). Thus, the idea of a book that would include as much as possible of the scientific information existing on this topic (ice caves), emerged during the biannual “International Workshops on Ice Caves” held every two years since 2004.
The book has two parts: in the first, it address the scientific information on ice caves, starting with the genesis of ice in caves, and running through ice dynamics, cave climate and cave fauna, ending with overview chapter on the palaeoclimatic significance of ice caves; and in the second, it compiles the information available on this topic, from "every" country where ice caves exist. Thus, it offers a reference work for both scientist interested in a peculiar topic related to ice caves studies, as well as an overview that can be used by those moving in from a different scientific field.
Additionally, and complementary to this book, Valter Maggi, head of the Commission on Glacier, Firn and Ice Caves of the UIS, is leading an effort to gather information on ice caves that did not made it into this book - please fell free to contact him and add your body of knowledge on this topic.
Emil Racovita Institute of Speleology, Romanian Academy
Cluj Napoca 400006
International Training Camp for Young Speleologists, Swabian Alb, Germany
Caves are important geological and biological features that contain major archives of past climates. Cavers can support the exploration, study, and protection of caves but good training is necessary. On 29 July to 13 August 2018 (a mistake on the website says 2016), a series of training courses will be offered on many themes in speleology in Blaubeuren – Seissen, in Germany’s Swabian Alb. This training is intended for young people who want to start with caving or who already have some experience and want to extend their skills, and is recommended for participants 16 years and older. You must understand German or English language.
For more information and to register, visit http://www.juhoefola.de/english.html.
List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
CavesLIVE: A Distance Learning Adventure, 14 March 2018 (on-line experience), https://CavesLIVE.org
The Sinkhole Conference, joint with the 3rd Appalachian Karst Symposium, 2-6 April 2018 (Shepherdstown, West Virginia, USA), http://www.sinkholeconference.com/
4) Eleventh International Conference on Remediation of Chlorinated and Recalcitrant Compounds: Karst Case Studies Session, 8-12 April 2018 (Palm Springs, California, USA), https://www.battelle.org/newsroom/conferences/chlorinated-conference
5) Speleogenesis, Geomorphology and Hazards in Karst, European Geosciences Union, 8–13 April 2018 (Vienna, Austria), http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/session/27715
7) Characterization and Engineering of Karst Aquifers Workshop, 27 May – 5 June (Trebinje, Bosnia and Herzegovina), http://www.karst.edu.rs/
8) Karst 2018: Expect the Unexpected, 6-9 June (Trebinje, Bosnia and Herzegovina), http://www.karst.edu.rs/
9) Karst Field Studies Program, six different 5-6 day courses from 3 June to 10 August 2018 (Grand Canyon National Park and Mammoth Cave National Park, USA), www.karstfieldstudies.com
10) 8th International Workshop on Ice caves (IWIC-VIII), 11-16 June 2018 (Picos de Europa National Park, Spain), temporary website: http://bit.ly/2ja2tuR.
11) EuroKarst 2018, 2-6 July 2018, (Besançon, France), http://www.eurokarst.org/
12) 18th International Vulcanospeleology Symposium, 21-27 July 2018 (Lava Beds National Monument, California, USA), http://18ivslavabeds.com/
International Training Camp for Young Speleologists, 29 July to 13 August 2018 (Swabian Alb, Germany), http://www.juhoefola.de/english.html
14) 2018 US National Speleological Society Convention, 30 July - 3 August 2018 (Helena, Montana, USA), http://nss2018.caves.org/
15) EuroSpeleo Forum 2018, 23-26 August 2018 (Ebensee, Austria), http://eurospeleo.at/expo.html.
16) 24th International Conference on Subterranean Biology, 20-24 August 2018 (University of Aveiro, Portugal), http://24icsb.web.ua.pt/.
17) 24th International Cave Bear Symposium, 27-30 September 2018 (Chepelare, Bulgaria), circular and website to be announced soon.
18) 8th Congress of the International Show Caves Association, 12-18 October 2018 (Genga, Italy), http://www.i-s-c-a.com/event/68-8th-isca-congress
19) 16th International Symposium of Speleotherapy, 24-28 October 2018 (Zlate Hory, Czech Republic), http://www.speleotherapycommission.webgarden.com/menu/news/the-xvi-th-international
Hypogea 2019: The International Congress of Speleology in Artificial Cavities, 20-25 May 2019 (Dobrich, Bulgaria), http://www.hypogea2019.org/
21) National Speleological Congress of Switzerland, 9-12 August 2019 (Interlaken, Switzerland), https://sinterlaken.ch/en/
22) 18th International Congress of Speleology, 23-29 July 2021 (Lyon, France), http://uis2021.speleos.fr/
George Veni, PhD
President, International Union of Speleology
National Cave and Karst Research Institute
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215 USA
CML archive browser created by Pavel Gulchouck